In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
(in order of mention from sermon)
Two Weeks Ago We Learned…
- That the greatest enemy in the war to Mortify Sin is ourselves.
- That that human standards cannot ever lead to truth.
- That Scripture provides an excellent remedy for our Depravity.
Things to Learn About My Own Walk with God this Week…
- That the Holy Spirit’s role in the Trinity defines how He interacts with believers.
- That there is a vast difference between the Holy Spirit “Coming Upon” and “Indwelling.”
- That my new life in Christ must be directed by the indwelling Holy Spirit.
Pneumatology: Words about the doctrines of the Holy Spirit.
The Ontological Trinity is What God Is… This is where we learn that God is Three Persons co-existing for eternity as One God (Three Persons, One God.)
The Economic is what Each Member Does… This is where we see that the Father Decrees, the Son accomplishes and the Holy Spirit Empowers.
‘Set Their Minds On’ – φρονοῦσιν (phronousin) – Form of verb meaning “…to have an opinion with regard to someth[ing], think, form/hold an opinion…” 1 So Paul is teaching that those who are living according to the flesh both think and have opinions that are according to the Flesh.
Norma Normans non Normata – “The Norm of Norms That Is Not Normed” This is the principle the Scripture is the measure of truth, and when interpreted correctly, cannot be corrected by any other source.
When the Holy Spirit sanctifies believers, he does a complete work in them. He puts into their minds, wills and hearts a gracious, supernatural principle which fills them with a holy desire to live to God. The whole life and being of holiness lies in this. This is the new creation. 2
1 William Arndt, Frederick W. Danker, and Walter Bauer, A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2000), 1065.
2 John Owen